Ah, winter! Whether You love it or hate it, your hair always suffers! Without the proper hair care during the cold winter months, a bad hair day is unavoidable. From split ends, to dry, brittle and static electric hat hair, a bad hair day can seem never-ending. To ensure that your hair remains happy and healthy for the season, follow this simple survival guide:
- Condition more, shampoo less. Lock in moisture after conditioning your hair by rinsing with cool water. Conditioning also prevents static electricity.
- Limit the use of heated appliances. It will dry out your hair even more during the winter. If you must, use a leave-in conditioner first and use the low heat option.
- Stay away from chemicals. Avoid perming or color treating your hair. Chemicals and cold weather is a dangerous science project you might want to escape.
- Make sure you hair isn’t wet before stepping out the door. Wet hair can freeze in cold temperatures, and that only means one thing: more damage.
- Warm up some natural oils (e.g olive, jojoba, avocado, coconut) and apply them from tip to root overnight.
- Cover up! Wear a hat or scarf to protect your hair from harsh cold winds and temperatures.
- Trim your hair regularly to prevent breakage from moving up the hair shaft. Be sure to use scissors specifically for trimming hair.
- Try some fancy up-do hairstyles. This limits exposure to the dry and cold air.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink lots of water. It makes a difference.
This survival guide will be your bread and butter during the colder season. Winter! We’re ready for the worst to come. Bring it on!!